Wednesday, September 3, 2008

White Feather



Missing White Feather. Hope he's OK.

Its so nice to again have the woods somewhat quiet again (children in school). Enjoyed sitting quietly in the shadows, feeding Chickadees and watching all that is abuzz in the late summer woodlands. Perhaps, I say to myself, I am feeding some fo White Feathers offspring ... anyhow. Possibly. There are Coopers Hawks who also nested in these woods as well, though. I know. I always know life in the woods is a delicate balance. What a wonder and an honor it is, that this brave hearted tiny bird considers me so carefully. Then does indeed, swoop down onto my hand and after pausing to cock his little head at me and eye me mysterioiusly before scooping up a seed (or two, or three) and fliting off to a nearby perch.
Colors beginning to change. The brightness of the Dogwood leaves make me want to get out that little sketch book I vowed to myself would be ONLY for leaves. A single leaf per page. Yes. Perhaps tomorrow.

The Chickadees, though, do tempt me to again get my pastels out. Messy, but, its fun to create something quickly for a change. I love colored pencils most of all, but, lately have put up with the messy pastels, for the sake of just completeing something faster. One local Gallery is makng that worth while too, though. I admit i like that also.

When I went back to my car though, I still enjoyed working further in cp's on the beautiful little study of the Matilaha Poppy. I fell in love with these out in Northern CA. A few years back I had an Artist Residency in Mendocino and the garden outside my room was just alive with these beautiful flowers! They stand, if I recall correctly, about 5' tall, with beautiful crinkly white petalled blossoms nearly 10" in diameter with big golf ball sized (well, almost!) center's. Perhaps I will post it when i finish it. Its just a small study to work out some shadow play from the stamens cast across the white petals. I would love to do a large painting of a closeup of this flower! Maybe. I will see how this little study goes first.


1 comment:

Barb said...

testing from Ladybug